Townie Bike

Posted on 9:28 PM by Elisa



Above is my brand spanking new and very sexy Townie Bike/Cruiser.  It's not only a beauty, but it's incredibly practical and useful.  I'm still trying to settle on a name for my girl, but right now I'm thinking along the lines of movie star actresses:  Sophia Lauren, Madonna, or Jolie - let me know if you come up with a good idea for a name.  Sorry - getting a bit off track.  Let me get back to why I chose this bike and why if you're looking for a new bike - the Townie Cruiser is a great pick.


The Townie Bike model 7D features:

1.   Flat Foot Technology:  The Townie Cruiser offers something that they call "flat foot technology," which is basically an ingenious redesign of a standard bicycle frame to allow the rider to sit completely upright, rather than leaning over the handle bars.  This is a much better position for your lower back, so the Townie is a great option for people with lower back pain.  The position actually feels more natural than a traditional biking position and while it won't help you lower your wind resistance and win any races, it will provide you with a comfortable commuting bike or just a cushy ride around town.  

Flat Foot Technology, as the name implies, also allows you to easily place both feet firmly on the ground.  This is particularly useful for riding along city streets where there are frequent stop signs or lights.  The diagram below illustrates the design enhancements offered by flat foot technology.






2.  Light-Weight Aluminum Frame:  Unlike most cruisers, the Townie is made from aluminum, which makes it significantly lighter.  Having a lighter weight bike is not only easier on your back when you're taking it up and down stairs, but it allows you to bike faster and smoother.




3.  Multiple Speeds:  Townie bikes come with a variety of options for speeds.  My bike has 7 speeds, as you can see in the photograph to the right.  However, you can choose from any number of speeds including 1, 3, 7, 8, or 21.  Typically, the more speeds, the more expensive the bike.  If you have varied terrain with a lot of hills then I would recommend investing in 21 speeds. However, if most of your terrain is relatively flat then I would stick to the 3, 7, or 8 models.  The 7D Townie model that I have also has an overly large 1st gear, which makes it easier to go up hills.  I advise people against getting a 1 speed bike or "fixed gear" because it can be a pain to put the chain back on when it falls off.  This isn't something that happens every day, but it happens frequently enough on most bikes that you want to be able to flip your bike over and easily put the chain back in its proper place without any tools.

4.  External Gears Hub:  Townie Cruisers are available with internal and external gear hubs.  The advantage with an internal gear hub is that you can't get your pant leg stuck in the gears.  The disadvantage is that if your chain falls off then it's harder to get access to the chain and put it back on - you would need to have bike tools with you or take it to your local bike shop.  So I recommend that you go with an external gear hub.



5.  Adjustable Handle Bar Angle:  The Townie Cruiser features an adjustable handle bar, which allows you to rotate the grip pads to best accommodate your build.  I have my handle bars turned in towards me to allow me to sit as upright as possible and thus decrease any potential back pain.  You can see the small notches on the handle bar in the photo to the left, which allow you to get the best angle for maximum comfort.  I love the Townie bikes attention to detail!


6.  Comfortable and Stylish Seat:  Hmmm...smile - comfortable seat!  As anyone who has ever ridden a bike for a significant amount of time will tell you - riding a bike can hurt your bum after a while.  Having a wide and cushioned seat offers additional support to make your ride more comfortable.  Townie bikes also offer stylish seats in a variety of colors and designs and most of them have gel inserts for extra cushyness.


7.  Great Color Choices and Sweet Accessories:  The Townie comes in a variety of vibrant colors, as well as more subdued and classic color combinations.  Electra (the bike company that produces the Townie) also offers a wide variety of fun accessories including bells, baskets, small pack, cup holders, colorful fenders, decorative bike seats and more!  Check out these beautiful images here on this great blog.  I love the Electra designs!  If I had had some more cash to spend on a bike - I would have picked out a really lovely design. 


8.  Easy to Integrate Rack and Baskets: It's super easy to equip your Townie with baskets or racks.  It's basically a plug in play.  Townie makes their own custom racks that are designed to mesh with any standard baskets.  I chose to go with strong, low-cost, and stylish white baskets to match my seat and handle bars.  you can purchase white bike baskets on amazon here.




10.  Fenders and Chain Guard: Townie Bikes can be equipped with fenders and a chain guard, as in the diagram above.  A chain guard is the piece of metal above your chain, which protects you from your chain.  Without a chain guard it's easy for your pant leg to get tangled in your chain and destroy your pants and cause an accident.  Definitely make sure you get a chain guard!  Fenders go above your wheels and protect you from water or mud splatter (my pink bike doesn't have them yet - I'm waiting until it rains to get some).  Definitely invest in fenders if you live in a rainy city or like riding in the mud!



11.  Capacity:  I equipped my Townie Cruiser with two rear baskets to make transportation of heavy stuff a breeze!  Check out the capacity on this baby!  Here I have it loaded down with about one hundred pounds of groceries.  Be sure you get some bungee cords if you're going to try this!





12.  Free Service and Tune Up:  My local bike shop gave me free service and tune up for a year!  And my friend recently bought a bike where the shop gave her free service for life!  Buying from a local shop definitely has it's long-term advantages.  Not to mention you're helping promote your local economy and helping create cool, enjoyable, and rewarding jobs for bike enthusiasts.



13.  The Cost:  Ok, it's not your $200 cruiser from Target or Walmart, but it's also aluminum (much more expensive than steel), well-designed, and well-built.  I got mine for less than $500 including baskets, a rack, and stylish white seat/handle bar grip pads.  Not to mention you're helping support a smallish company and local bike shop instead of a mega corporation.  Originally, I was planning to go with a heavy cruiser from Target, but their bike are (1) heavy and made from steel, (2) don't use flat foot technology, (3) don't offer service plans, (4) the cheapest bikes at target don't have multiple speeds, and (5) I was discouraged by some of the negative reviews on the Target Websites.



You can learn more about the Townie Cruiser/Bike here on the Electra Website.  I recently found another blog posting about the Townie Bike here.


Also - a lot of people have been asking me where I got my white baskets and I got them on Amazon at a very reasonable price:



5 comments:

  1. cool... is it reliable?? any problems??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Townie is super reliable. It is my main form of transportation and I ride it nearly every day. I have now had it for over six months and I am very, very happy with it. Only once have I had the chain come off and that was going over a huge curb that I probably shouldn't have gone over. I really love my bike and highly recommend it to anyone else. It has been treating my back well and I definitely notice the difference when I ride my folding bike or my boyfriend's bikes that my lower back hurts from leaning over the handle bars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I love this. Im so in to the Townies. I think I might go get a new one this weekend. Loves it!

    http://thereisamooseontheloose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your information! I'm trying to decide bike brands, bike types etc...I keep coming back to the Townie bikes. Seems like I only hear good stuff about these bikes. Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Townie 7D too! It's Eggplant, I didn't fix my car in May, I got a Townie instead, and am biking and busing until I lose 40#. I was never allowed to have a bike, and I just LOVE it. I did start out with a bike from Target, took it back and got a Schwinn from Amazon, couldn't ride either one. Found out about flat-foot technology and am in heaven.

    I write about my Townie on my blog "Spirited Bohemian".

    I don't think a Porsche would make me as happy as I've been with this bike. I guess I should name mine too . . .

    ReplyDelete